Below are some tips for organizing and attending a pro-CANZUK event in your area. For greater assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our administrative team at email@example.com. We have plenty of advice and resources to get your started…
Before the event:
- Choose a date, time, and location for your event. Note that you might require a permit from your local authority for the location. Make sure that your event complies with any and all legal requirements and restrictions.
- Decide how many people you’d like to attend the event.
- Create an “event page” for your event using Facebook or other event websites such as Eventbrite and Meetup.
- Create an event hashtag so that guests can use it to talk about and follow the event on social media.
- Begin recruiting people to join your event. Remember that statistically, twice as many people RSVP compared to how many actually attend. For example, if you hope to have 50 attendees, you should aim for 100 invites.
- Create an agenda for your event, and assign each agenda item a specific time and duration.
- Determine what you’d like to accomplish by holding an event, and what you’d like your guests to do following the event. Be sure to tell them explicitly so that they are clear about what they are being asked to do.
- Determine if you’d like to have any speakers at the event, and if so, reach out to them to participate. For example, you can request attendance from local organizations, influencers and your Member of Parliament.
- Publically recognize any political figures attending the event, and allocating 5-10 minutes during the event for them to make a speech in favour of CANZUK.
- If you have a team helping you, schedule a briefing in advance of your event so that everyone is aligned on roles, responsibilities, and the goals of the event.
During the event:
- On the day of the event, make sure that you and any volunteers arrive early.
- Ask every attendee to register or sign-in using your list of RSVPs, and collect the contact information of guests who did not RSVP but do show up. This will enable you to contact them later to say thank you.
- Stick to your agenda.
- Share the objective of the event with your guests. During the wrap-up of the event, reflect to see if the objective has been reached or what can be done to help reach the objective. Invite attendees to sign CANZUK International’s online petition.
- Encourage guests to take pictures and to post about the event on social media using the event hashtag you created.
- Near the end of the event, ask all attendees to sign up for the next pro-CANZUK event in your area.
After the event:
- Contact everyone who attended your event to thank them for attending, to share the success of the event, and also to remind them to join the next upcoming pro-CANZUK event.
- Post photos and stories about the event on your social media page so that those who weren’t able to attend the can see how it went and what was accomplished.
- Follow up with those who RSVP’d but didn’t make it to the event by inviting them to your next event.
Even if you are not organizing an event, attending an event is a great way to show your support and to connect with the community about CANZUK. Here are some tips for attending events:
- RSVP – let the organizers know you’re coming.
- Bring a friend – spread the word and bring friends/family to the event.
- Register – this will enable the organizers to contact you later to share updates and tell you about how the event went.
- Share – take pictures and post about the event on social media using relevant hashtags.
- Participate – do not be afraid to talk to those around you; event hosts, speakers, and, if you are comfortable, the media attending events.
- Get involved – find out what the main objective of the event is, and do what you can to help the organizers achieve them.
- Stay in touch – get the contact information of those you meet, and join any relevant groups on social media so that you can stay in touch and keep up to date on CANZUK related matters.
Join CANZUK International on social media